Unfortunately, we are closed due to the current Covid-19 situation...

Due to the escalation of the coronavirus crisis, and in line with government advice, we have taken the decision to close the Sally Port Inn until further notice. We hope to be open again soon, follow us by clicking here for any updates!

Historic Hotel In Portsmouth

Anchor icon

The Sally Port Inn has an attractive ideal situation - only a few yards from the sea-wall and the extension of Southsea promenade, in the midst of historical Old Portsmouth, with Round Tower, Point, the Hot Walls and the Camber Quay all around. Directly opposite the Hotel stands the beautiful Cathedral of Thomas of Canterbury with its rich green surround. Close by is the "sally port" the gate in the sea-wall, the old fortified section, from which the hotel takes its name - this is the arch way through the defence wall where the naval officers "sailed forth", and were taken off in their gigs. What famous names must have passed through this remnant of yesteryear! The Old High Street has, over the past 400 years, seen many historical events and great names, such as Nelson, Keppel, Hood and others, are associated with this part of Old Portsmouth. To those interested in historical fact, a stay at the Sally Port Inn will be an experience to remember. The city of Portsmouth, Gunwharf Quays, Spinnaker Tower, Continental Ferry Ports, Museums and Historic Ships are all near by.

The present Sally Port Inn was created in 1947 from a war-damaged residence, dating back to the 1600's. The building is "frame built" and has oaken timbers of its period, plus more "modern" timbers from the old wooden-wall ships of the early 19th century. Each room has its share of these timbers, with a sloping floor into the bargain and, perhaps, a door that is not quite square! In its early life, about 1805, a conversion took place. The main alteration was the introduction of a handsome cantilever staircase, the hub round which the present hotel lives. This staircase is a truly Georgian masterpiece, complete with walnut-balustrade and fan-tail ceiling. The backbone of the stairwell, by the way, is a ship's top-spar, a mast some 40 feet in length - parts of which can still be seen in various floors of the hotel - legend says that this mast came from the ship "Penelope", a frigate of His Majesty's Navy in the year 1798 - certainly is that it was discovered by the builders during renovations in 1947. The Hotel is scheduled as a building of Special Architectural or Historical Interest under the Town and Country Planning Act.